Overjoyed

It may have been many many weeks since I wrote. But this . . .
I've waited seven years for this day.
At least, a day like this. In my dreams, the pre-game ceremony will take the crowd from loud to deafening as he comes out of the Umpire's tunnel, not the visiting dugout, wearing white and blue. That would really be something.
I'm talking, of course, about Junior's return. As a Mariners fan, he means everything. But more importantly, to me, this man is baseball. Everything that is right about the game, the intangible, "people will come, Ray" sort of wonder that kids in the 1930's felt watching baseball. This is tell-your-kids-you-saw-him baseball. I can still hear Tom Hutler announcing all three parts of his name at length, highlighting "Jr." I can see the lights of the Kingdome off his helmet. I patterned my defense after him (still do - just as any intramural squad how reckless I am in order to get them out). I patterned my baseball swing after his. Heck, I patterned my golf swing after him.
I was 14 when he went to Cincinnati. I cried. I listened to Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed" on repeat, because it fit. I was that dramatic. I was that hurt. I only played one more season of baseball after that. If Griffey had been around, maybe it would've been more.
It's hard to put it into words better than the guys that put it into words, so here are some links:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003757908_kelley22.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/320877_thiel22.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/320856_kolloen22.html
Just remember what it was like to watch him play. I witnessed a 3-HR spectacle from left field and marveled at his walk halfway up the first base line every time.
See you at the Safe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home