Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Comfortably Numb

They don't make belated birthday cards for blogs, but if they did I would have one posted right here. And, since it's tradition, here's the quote block format for those three words, in case you don't hear it from everyone else.

Happy Valentine's Day

Since the last post I've been as far as Texas and as near as my-bed-instead-of-class. There was a trip to Whitman to see Luke, and more missed class. It's really piled up, actually. We're talking critical mass.

But I've been learning. Learning that the one thing I want out of life is to have it be as close to an ensemble comedy as possible. Learning that the winter of your third year in college is when all the enemies that are the future appear at once and point spears of commitment at you. And learning that the biggest problem in the world of professional adults all revolves around real estate. These are all similar problems that faced Columbus - sort of. The part about the spears is a little off.

Learning of a magical place where you can watch TV and movies FOR FREE and somehow the federal government hasn't blown it all up yet: peekvid.com

Learning that this Spring Break has the potential to be epic, based simply on the motto "when you do stuff, stuff happens." And I haven't been doing stuff, so there.

And spring is around the corner, which means the return of the much anticipated softball season and time spent on the roof. But in the meantime, we've got Oscars.

My first reaction to the best picture noms was "really?" It's not a stellar group.
Little Miss Sunshine was cute, but it was also much like an exercise that some writer did to work on his characters. Just pull out a few profiles written down on these index cards and make them interact. A lot of fun, but not a whole lot of substance. Very funny, though.
Babel is like Crash, only not as good. At the end of it all, people have suffered and cried and died, and yet nobody is better for it nor have they learned all that much. There isn't even a whiff of redemption in any of them, save for the deaf Japanese girl. But even then, it's just an acknowledgment of a problem that has been around the whole time and no action taken to fix it.
The Departed is The Exception, at least until I see Letters from Iwo Jima and The Queen. The cast is solid, the story is solid, and right now it stands alone. But I'd better see the other two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home